Monday, August 24, 2009

The Newest Challenge

Well, I believe my horrific fear of needles is going to go away over the course of the next few weeks. I found out today that I have gestational diabetes, so for the remainder of the pregnancy, I will have the joy of daily blood tests. Although, I hear that now they make kits where you can at least test other parts of the body, and avoid the fingers which are used all day to type.

So, now I have to learn how much of the food that I enjoy cooking will be off limits to me for the next 11 weeks. I am somewhat intrigued by the ability to monitor my own readings, it's like a little science experiment. I guess if I can find something interesting about this situation, it's probably a good thing.

I'll go see the high risk maternal doctor on Thursday, where I will see a dietician and get the "official" rules. I imagine this will also mean more regular sonograms through the rest of the pregnancy in order to track the baby's weight. Hopefully, though, it won't require too many extra doctor visits.

Anyhoo - that's the latest. I'm off to bed as it has been an exhausting day trying to take in all of this information. We'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

  1. Ok- I have been a super bad Auntie- just caught up from early July posts so my comments are many. :)
    1) A baby boy!!! Fun!!
    2) Names? Hmmm- don't know but friends who are also expecting (but having a girl) did have Jude as an option- kinda like that one.
    3) The room looks great!
    4) Music?- yep I think whatever you like is what you get to listen to. Caitlin got to hear a lot of elementary kids singing all the time- I think she liked that a lot. :) Other than that she just heard what we like and she turned out pretty well I think.
    5) Gestational Diabetes- bummer. But you know, you will be able to manage that just fine and more baby viewings are always a plus.

    Just know that we in Palatine, IL are very excited for Baby Boy Deal to come join us all in the big world. Maybe someone among us will get to come meet him early on.

    Lots of love to you guys!
    Bev (Ken and Caitlin too)

    ReplyDelete